Click on the links
Education (note: click on Bulletins to learn more about 504 Plans)
What is a 504 Plan?
* Section 504 is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of a disability in education and ensures a safe and appropriate public education. If schools do not comply, call 1-800-368-1019 or email email@example.com or visit www.hhs.gov/ocr to file a complaint online. To learn more visit www.504idea.org
* Source: Food Allergies for Dummies by Robert Wood, MD.
Epinephrine in NY Schools
Action Plan for Anaphylaxis
Food Allergy Support Organizations
Food Allergy Research
Medical Supplies and more
1. Medical Bracelets - It is very important that your child wears a medical bracelet (especially if your child is in daycare/school)
2. Go to allergykids.com to see Robin O'Brien's story on CNN, and shop for products that will help keep your child safe in school. Special offer to PAK members only - 10% off. Code: PAK. Our mission is to educate mothers about the risks that chemicals in foods present to our children. 3. Allergicchild.com, by Nicole Smith, has books & classroom posters available for the food allergic child. 8. Foods Matter - the web's fastest growing allergy/intolerance information site based in London. 9. Patient AirLift Services - is a non-profit that arranges free air transportation based on individual requiring critical life-saving medical care 1-888-818-1231 or 516-640-1390.
1. Check my Tag™ makes allergy awareness clothing especially for young children at risk. 2. www.allergyapparel.com a company that offers unique, hip, and fun designs for your kiddo that has an allergy. 3. www.mallergies.com an interactive site focusing on the latest trends on food allergies.
3. www.ming.com Chef Ming Tsai has recipes free of the top 8 allergens 6. www.lonelyplate.org a food allergy guide to safe dining, airlines, hotels, kid-friendly venues
Health & Environmental Category
To report mislabelling of an allergen ingredient, please call the NY FDA office at #718- 662-5588.
For allergic reactions to poultry or meat, call the National US FDA Hotline at 1-800-535-4555 and ask for Mary Belle.
Top Docs in Long Island, NY (Source: 6/3/08 LI Newsday)
Allergy & Immunology
Dr. Vincent Bonagura, Great Neck 516-622-5070
Dr. Sharon Markovics, Manhasset 516-365-6077
Dr. Daniel Mayer, Smithtown 631-366-5252
Dr. Michael Richheimer, Bay Shore 631-665-6363
Dr. Marc Sicklick, Cedarhurst 516-569-5550
**This listing does not imply any endorsement by or affiliation with PAK.
PAK is not a professional or medical organization. It is a group of parents sharing information and supporting each other. The discussions, meeting minutes, handouts, guest speakers, agendas, and other products of our support group do not constitute medical/legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always discuss individual health questions and medical issues with a qualified personal physician.