November '07 Bulletin
Meeting Held: 11/21
Meeting Minutes written by Kim Dominici
Guest Speaker: Gary Feldman
Topic: Why we should "Say No To GMO"
Food Allergies & the connection to
genetically modified food.
Explanation of GMO
· GMO's are a complex problem and are affecting the entire world.
· GMO's are taking DNA from one species and putting into another.
· If you look at labels closely, you will see some are labeled non-GMO.
· Look for the non-conventional foods.
· Allergists do not have answers to the rise of food allergies,
but do have a lot of tests. This is because allergic reactions connected
to GMOs cannot be traced.
Examples of Allergens hidden in GMO foods. Additives to avoid.
· Pay attention to what the label states. GMO modifications not on labeling!
· Fish genes into ice creams - if allergic to fish, have a reaction.
· Spider and codfish genes into some GMO potatoes.
· Flounder genes in strawberries/tomatoes to protect from freezing.
· Golden Rice - contains daffodil and bacteria genes.
· Plants/insect/fish/animal/human/bacteria genes are being spliced into our food.
· Ventria is a biotech company that produces 3 varieties of rice with human genes in them.
· Aspartame - first GMO sweetener.
· CORN - major problem! "Friends of the Earth" went to a supermarket and grabbed all the corn products and brought them to a genetic lab. 185/245 corn products were "Starlink" corn (GMO). This group helped stop it.
· FISH - buy wild. Farm raised contains GMO.
How GMO's are connected to the rise in FA since '96
· Ex) Brazilian nuts into some soybeans, allergy from nut, and most people with FA are allergic to nut.
· Allergy food may have allergy protein - ex) soy has 15 hidden allergens, apple and birch pollen/foods mimics peanuts. There is a link back to soy with PA, even if a person doesn't eat p-nuts, mimics to high degree due to amino acid content.
· Watch reactions to soy; may cause anaphylaxis. Early sign can be eczema.
· Birch tree - find out foods related to Birch (ex melon, apples)
· Every processed food has some GMO in it, therefore, allergies on the rise.
· Kids getting allergies that were born in the last 15 years. Brought up only with GMO's.
· Body cannot understand why can't digest new protein. When we eat, the body can't distinguish the food, it sits in the stomach. GMO is in stomach at least 1 hr, and can't pass out, creating havoc in the intestinal tract. It passes through the gut making a new allergy from food you thought you weren't eating but really were.
· Being pregnant, GMO's affect fetus.
· Kid's genes are being taken over.
· Body cannot utilize all the foreign substances just sitting in the body. Always a small percent goes to the gut. The gut is the biggest problem since it is the last line of digestion.
Guideline for GMO free shopping and dining
· Watch the rice at restaurants (i.e. don't eat if possible).
· All soy sauce GMO
· There are more outrageous things in restaurant food (you're not preparing it).
· Pizza restaurant - growth hormone in cheese.
· Starbucks stopped serving growth hormone in dairy.
· Trader Joe's label on dairy no growth hormone.
· Infant formulas - all GMO unless labeled otherwise. Use organic formulas.
· Cloning cows, then using cloned cows milk
· All animals on farms that are non-organic are being fed GMO, then GMO being put back into body when you consume the food (dairy, eggs, etc.).
· Go to farms on the east end.
· In Europe and Asia, have to label GMO on foods.
· Top Countries with GMO Crops
1. US = 53%
2. Argentina = 17%
3. Brazil = 11%
4. Canada = 6%
5. India = 4%
6. Paraguay = 2%
7. S. Africa = 1 %
· Alcohol - beer 2006 - Busch uses GMO rice.
· Way to go.
· 100% certification.
· Oregon Tilth one of top certifiers. Also, QAI (Quality Assurance International).
· Organic fields further away then conventional crops.
· USDA least certifications.
· Soy lecithin must state organic to know GMO free.
· Use health food store as resource.
Urgency for mandatory labeling
· Over 70% of all supermarket foods is GMO.
· FDA does not permit labeling for consumers to make a good choice.
· We are an uneducated society, need to be aware - top GMO companies make claims (i.e. the GMO rice will stop kids diarrhea) and claims are accepted.
· FDA - claiming GMO is a food additive.
GMO connection to e-coli outbreaks.
· People becoming resistant to antibiotics because of the GMO foods - they're altering our DNA structure. GMO seeds contain viruses and antibiotics.
· People who ate lettuce at Taco Bell in 2006 - if there was a promoter gene in the lettuce, it attaches itself to e-coli bacteria in the gut, causing the e-coli in the gut to explode.
Positive things we can do
· Use dollar to utilize buying power - buy non-gmo products.
· Grass roots way
· Buy organic - you are sending manufacturers a powerful message.
· Go to supermarket managers in groups and demand GMO labeling on all food products.
· Organic Association is fantastic, it tells companies that are organic certified.
· Green Peace has the most knowledge/information.
· Organic consumers association also great.
What to eat?
· Corn and soy are the most prevalent GMO to watch out for from these high GMO countries.
· Stay away from anything genetic.
· Probiotics - consumed by itself helps bring up immune system and gut. The higher number the better. Read labels to check ingredients.
· Yogurt, bacterias - give a lot to bring up immune system. Cultures Keifer is the best source of probiotics.
· PLU codes: the number it starts with:
· 3, 4, or 5 = conventional cancer (heavily sprayed) DON'T BUY
· 8 = GMO food
· 9 = FINE
IF PRODUCE IS NOT MARKED WITH A PLU CODE WATCH OUT!
GMO connection to Autism and learning disabilities.
· Vaccines - GMO organisms in them, link with autism and learning disabilities.
· Foods creating problems in children - altering DNA.
· Remember: All the little things add up!
· GMO's are not just in food, but genetically modified cotton clothing, health products, etc.
· JUST SAY NO TO GMO!!!